Lately we've been having some crazy weather. Like today, the forecast was windy. When I heard that on Good Morning America yesterday, I was like, Wow, that must mean it's pretty intense. I mean, if that's all they keep saying. And today, I witnessed the intense wind! I was up really early (I'll explain in a minute) and was up at a school in Harlem at about 8 am. It was all nice and dandy and I was almost to the school until I got blasted with like 50 mph wind!! I really thought I was going to get blown over. And then, as suddenly as it started, it stopped.
So anyways, this morning I went to Renaissance Leadership Academy to help with an event that we were having. In partnership with the Mayors Volunteer Council and NYC office of affairs (or something like that) we had a Young Women's Summit. All morning I was registering middle school and high school girls for the conference. We had different workshops in the morning like Resume Building and Financial Aid: How to Pay for College. Also- this is very exciting- I ran into a Miss New York! She was doing the public speaking workshop- and I mean, I would have totally gone to the workshop because of this girl! She had a crown and a sash and everything!
And to give a brief recap of the past month- I've had people stay here non-stop! It was so much fun and a great way to explore the city! I got to do way more than if I just been by myself. Now I know the subway system much better and have been around to all the different areas of New York. I'm pretty sure I've been to all of them now- which is pretty awesome. Another way I've seen a bunch of them is through this project we're doing for class. We have to go around to different pizza places in the different areas and observe and compare. I know, I know, it's a rough life. :)
And before I sign off, here's some of my random favorite things about New York:
1. Whenever you tell anyone anything you're doing, you sound so cool! Even if it's just something like getting groceries. Everywhere is so famous! (For example: We went shopping in Soho yesterday.... I'm walking my dog in Central Park.)
2. Thai ny- all of my favorite thai/chinese food in one place. All of that PLUS it's really cute- which is really what matters anyway :)
3. The jazz clubs. So legit.
4. The skyline
5. Looking down at Grand Central Station at 6 pm rush hour. For some reason, every day after work, I always stop to marvel at all the people in dark coats staring at the train schedule, and then all running at once when the trains about to leave.
6. Traders Joes.
7. All the music in the stores. I swear, everytime I go into a store or anywhere else that happens to be playing music, it's always really awesome! P.S. , Trader Joes has really awesome music.
8. The train! And the Staten Island Ferry. I'm pretty sure Aisha, the girl who I do all the school visits with, ya I'm pretty sure she knows that I love public transportation because we have taken like every way possible.
ciao
xoxo
p.s. Karen this post is for you :) Sorry you haven't been able to follow me life for awhile ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hahaha when i saw you'd updated i got SO EXCITED!
ReplyDeleteps there's now a trader joe's in the nash! in case you didn't know :)
oops - that was supposed to say "karen said." i guess my sister had left herself logged into gmail.
ReplyDeletepps she's coming to BELMONT next year...ahhhh! :)