Today was my second day of work and it was really great- really full and really great! I got to work at 9 am. I take the 6 subway to Grand Central station, and then walk up a few blocks to 6 E 43rd St., which is the building where Children for Children is. I love my commute because I get to walk through Grand Central- it's one of my favorite things! :) Anyways- so today when I got to work, I finished up this project that I was working on yesterday and called some non-profits around town, like Big Brothers Big Sisters, and invited them to our event on Monday. We're just trying to get the word out as much as possible. Then, I was assigned to create the letter writing project for the event on Monday. I created worksheets about "How to write a letter" and wrote a little bit about how Martin Luther King, Jr. made a difference speaking out about things that he believed in, and that these kids should write a letter to the president, the senator, or someone else to tell them how they feel about an important issue. Anyways... I felt really cool creating that worksheet and making a sample letter for the little kids to copy.
Maybe I should explain a little about the event we're having on Monday. It's the biggest event of the year for CFC (Children for Children). It's called the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. There are like thousands of kids and families coming to do hands-on service projects at two locations in the city. They are two public schools, and the projects are like making scarfs for a homeless shelter, bandanas for an animal shelter, etc. So... needless to say, the office is really busy right now in trying to bring this all together.
Anyways, in the middle of the day, the other intern, TJ, and I went to drop off packets for service projects at two different non-profit organizations around the city. We went to Chelsea and the Upper West Side, then we grabbed lunch at the Europa Cafe in Times Square and walked back to work. When we got back to work, we traced a picture of Martin Luther King, Jr. and created a paint by numbers for the kids to paint on at the event. Also, later we had a staff meeting to celebrate my boss, Mark's 26th birthday. woohoo!
So- there's kind of a snapshot of work. I'm sure I'll talk more about it later- but that's kind of what goes on in the office. After the event- I'm going to be doing a lot more school focused things that I'm really excited about. I met with Aisha today, who's the one who goes to the schools and trains the teachers on service learning and helps implement the curriculum that I will also help write. I'm super excited about all of it! Also- another thing I'll help with is called Be The Change, which is basically a database for recently incarcerated youth to find community service work that can really benefit them and teach them valuable skills. Right now, it's all kind of overwhelming, and most of the time, I'm just trying to soak everything in. But I think I'll get the hang of it all really soon.
Here's a snapshot about home. When I got home from work today, Amanda was already cooking us some food. We had awesome quesadillas, and ate them on our little ottomans with kithen towels as placements. It's pretty funny- we don't have a kitchen table, but we pretend like we do. We're going to fix our apartment up this weekend I think... I hope. I think I get my bed this weekend! Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment