Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm in New York!

I'm finally here! I'm officially at 28th Street in my new apartment. I'm sitting on the floor right now in my new room, looking outside at the snow flurries. Amanda is downtown with her mom- they went to look at the building where Amanda works and Marta wanted to see Times Square. She works right next to the Stock Exchange! I am in our apartment, unpacking my clothes and watching New York 1, the local news station.
Last night, I got in on time to Laguardia, and took a short cab ride to my new apartment. Amanda and her uncle met me on the corner and helped me bring my stuff up to the apartment. There I met up with her aunt, Amy and mom, Marta. Soon after that, we walked two blocks to a nice place called the Turkish Kitchen. We met up with Ramona, who graduated from NYU two years ago and used to work for Amy. We soon found out that Turkish food is basically Mediterranean food- I had a dish that was very similar to a gyro. After that, we came back home and watched Grey's Anatomy.
I wish I could post pictures, but I lost my camera right before I came here! As soon as we take some on Amanda's camera I will upload them. But I'll try to explain how my apartment looks anyways. We're on a really high floor, which is great, and we live in a pretty residential area. When you walk into the apartment, the kitchen is right on your right. It's clean and nice- it has a dishwasher, oven, stove, coffeemaker, microwave, and some spices that Trish left for us (She's the woman who's subleasing the apartment to us.) Directly on your left is the huge closet- which is my closet! I'm so excited because it's like 3 of the Vandy dorm closets! Then you walk into the seating area which has a brown couch, short bookcase, T.V., and rolling stool things. All of the furniture was left for us. Then if you walk straight through another door, there's my room! Amanda's room is to the left across from a bathroom. So that's our apartment. It's very cute and I think it has some character. I'm so excited to actually get my pictures up and put my bed together. My bed is yet to be found- so right now I have a blow up mattress to sleep on. We also have to get some lighting- there are no lights in the bedrooms.
I'm so excited to be here- but I'm a little nervous about my job. I have yet to go find out how to get there- I think that'll be a project for tomorrow. Our project for today is to get some food from the grocery store- I'm really excited about that! I'm sure it will become not as fun after awhile- but it's our first trip to the grocery store. Hopefully we can find the Trader Joes nearby.
Anyways- I'm nervous/excited. But I'm sure once I get a feel for where things are and how things work- I'll just be so excited to be here.

1 comment:

  1. yay for your first post from NYC! i loved reading about your apartment and expect a thorough tour of it over skype. speaking of that, can we please have a skype date soon? miss you!

    ReplyDelete